Saturday, May 1, 2010

2010 World Athlete Interview – Adam Gates. Senior Men Freestyle

When did you start baton twirling?
I started when I was three years old. Three of my sisters were twirling at the time so I tagged along.

Where was your first National Championships?
My first Nationals were in Melbourne and I remember I played the red Power Ranger as my character for Dance Twirl.

What is one of your favourite routines you’ve ever done?
In 2005 I was in the Australian Team when we went to America for the World Championships. I just loved our Jungle themed team! It had so much character and it was so different to anything we had ever done before.

When was your first World Championships?
This is my eighth world championships, my first one was in 2001 in Paris, France. I was competing in Junior Men Freestyle and I used the music from Zorro. I remember just moments before I went on the floor, in the warm-up area, I was practicing one of my tricks and the baton came down and smacked me in the eye! I was nursed by the French team and then went out onto the competition floor to compete against “little dude” (Keisuke) doing ‘Live and let die.’

What’s it like being the only male baton twirler in Australia?
Well in Australia they don’t separate the athletes into male and female so I’m used to being amongst all the girls (winks)!

Are you looking forward to Norway?  
Yes, I can’t wait to perform in Bergen. The country looks beautiful and it will be great to see everyone at the competition again.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great experience representing Australia at the Worlds in Bergen, Adam. Good luck!

    Cindy Hamilton
    TwirlPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete