Sunday, May 30, 2010

2010 World Athlete Interview – Natalie Morris. Team.

In what year did you start twirling?
In 1998 when I was 13, I was introduced to twirling by Kellie Abbs who use to twirl. I had done gymnastics up until then which I found helped me pick up twirling fairly quickly.

What is one of your favourite routines to date?
This is such a hard question but I can’t go past team in 2003 when we went to Spain. It was my first time in the open team and it was such a great experience and an honour to be a part of the team with girls that I have always looked up. It was so much fun, we twirled to the music from Chicago “All that Jazz”. I feel like I matured so much as a twirler being a part of that team!
I also have to say that every pairs routine that I do with my good mate Carly Scullion are always up there with being my favourite!

Which year has been your best National Championships?
I must say that 2007 was a memorable year for me - it was my first year leading Senior Marchpast for which I won Best Leader, I won my first 'Champion of Champions' and I also won all of the events that I competed in!

Have you had any injuries from twirling?
It wasn’t really from twirling but it did happen at training, I tore ligaments in my knee because I slipped over my tracksuit pants Haha! I’m known for falling over! Danielle Bentick has nick-named me “slider” for a stack that happened right in front of her!

What are you looking forward to most about Norway?
I am really looking forward to performing our team, we have some younger girls this year and I am so excited for them as well! I love the whole lead-up to the competition with training - just drilling the routine, and then of course competing. When you train so hard for it all year it’s a great feeling being out on the floor performing it! I also must say I’m looking forward to see what Japan, America and France (of course) have to offer, they are amazing to watch!

Who is your baton twirling idol?
My idol... It probably sounds corny but I really look up to Ainslie Hunt (Macintyre) and Jennie Doniger (Spooner). They have always both trained so hard and never given up which made them, I think, two of the best in Australia in their time.
I also love to watch and learn things from Chiaru and Seishi from Japan - especially in pairs when they were always so amazing.

What is your favourite trick?
Karrissa Wimberley always comes out with some amazing tricks, she has so much strength which makes her able to do unreal acrobatic moves, she always pulls out different tricks that no one else has.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck Natalie and all the girls in the team! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete